THE HEART OF SERAING
The main church has 12th-century baptismal fonts as its jewel.
The Town Hall. An 18th-century building that used to be the main dwelling of a farm. It was bought by the municipal administration in 1856. The old council chamber boasts richly decorated ceilings and contains Le vieux pont de Seraing, a huge painting by MATAIVE.
Cockerill Castle. Researchers have been unable to determine exactly when the foundations of this building were laid down, but some remains go all the way back to 1082! It served as the residence of the Prince-Bishops of Liège from Henri de VERDUN until the very last one, MÉAN, whose name has the rather ironic anagram AMEN.
After a long period packed with historic events and famous people, the castle was bought by the COCKERILL brothers in 1817, with John becoming the sole owner in 1823. A statue of the man who went on to become the father of heavy industry in our city can be seen in Place Communale, opposite the Town Hall.
VAL SAINT-LAMBERT ESTATE
A Cistercian abbey was founded here around the year 1200. The Abbey was later razed to the ground by Napoleonic troops and the site is now home to:
- the Cristallerie, which exhibits its dazzling works
- a show tour inside the castle
It traces the evolution of glass from its origins to the arrival of crystal to its current site.
CASTLES IN JEMEPPE
Antoine. Also known as the Fortified House of Jemeppe. It stands out for its square-based tower. It dates from the 14th and 15th centuries.
Courtejoye. It dates back to the 17th century. It bears all the characteristics of Mosan Renaissance. Nowadays, it is home to student and school libraries.
Ordange. It dates from the 15th and 17th centuries. It hosts a variety of cultural activities.
A third —1,200 hectares— of the land surface of Seraing is covered by woods. The municipality owns 10/18 of the forest, which is held as an undivided joint property with the WALLOON REGION.
These sprawling woods contain no fewer than 10 marked hikes through L'Abbaye, La Vecquée and La Marchandise forests, with distances ranging from 2.25 to 9.17 km.
It spans 6 hectares between Route de Rotheux and Avenue du Ban. It can be easily accessed via the Ban forest track, which starts to the right of Mare aux Joncs. This is a cultural and forest experimentation area and, in a way, a natural museum.
A sequoia stands out from the other trees. Only forest rangers are allowed to drive through the area. For further information, read the telephone directory: Seraing area, sections "Ministères", "Région wallonne", "Division de la nature et des forêts".
FORT DE BONCELLES
Fort de Boncelles was built in 1892 as one of the twelve fortifications erected around Liège to defend the city.
It protected Liège during the two World Wars. Its garrisons were reinforced in August 1914 and May 1940.
In 1940, German artillery killed Commander Charlier and many of his soldiers. After World War II, the fort was converted to a military depot and later sold off by the army in the 1980s.
The NGO La Tour d'Air and its chairman Sergeï Alexandrof have given Fort de Boncelles a new lease on life and are working to turn it into a history museum.
Find out more:
Seraing Tourist Board
Rue du Val-Saint-Lambert, 243 à 4100 Seraing
Phone no.: 04/336.66.16
Fax no.: 04/385.14.23